Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

EMPOWERED WOMEN GROUP PROFILE

+2
maryguirk
Mary Clarke
6 posters

Go down

EMPOWERED WOMEN GROUP PROFILE Empty EMPOWERED WOMEN GROUP PROFILE

Post  Mary Clarke Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:20 am

EMPOWERED SWIFT GROUP

Biography

There are twenty-eight women involved in the Empowered Swift Group from the Clár areas of Oldcastle, Moylagh, Ballinacree, Ballinlough, Kilskyre, Killallon and Delvin.
This group began its origins back in May 2007 under Meath Partnership who developed the Swift (Supporting Women In Further Training) Programme which resulted in fifty Meath women graduating from their two main groups located in the Oldcastle/Moylagh and Cormeen area.
The focus of our group is to continue to develop our minds, ambitions and communities while supporting eachother through our continuing friendship.

Achievements

The background of our members include, Retired Teacher, Business Women, Bank Officials, Writers, Creative Writers, Special Needs Assistant, Accounts Technician, Housewives, Organic Gardeners, Irish Dance Teacher, Yoga Teachers, Health Experts, Chaollais Sheep Breeder, Office Administrators, Reflexologist and Photographers.
As well as these skills the group also acquired the following list of achievements through the Swift Programme:

· Computer Literacy Fetac level 3
· IT Skills Fetac level 4
· Personal Effectiveness Fetac level 3
· Personal & Interpersonal Skills Fetac level 3
· Start Your Own Business in conjunction with Meath County Enterprise Board
· Digital Photography in conjunction with County Meath VEC
· Creative Writing
· Negotiation Skills in conjunction with Nurture Development
· Managing Challenging Behaviour
· Car Maintenance
· Interior Design
· Organic Gardening
· Garden Design
· Speaking With Confidence
· Assertiveness and Decision Making
· Facilitation Skills
· The Internet

AIM
As a newly formed womens’ group our aim is to organise educational courses and community projects that will benefit our group members and all the communities involved.
At present, fourteen members will start a twenty-five week ECDL course with Twelve members hoping to get snapping shortly on a four week Digital Photography course, both were organised through Meath VEC.
Empowered Swift Group consult on a regular basis by using the Swift Chat Forum, texting or phoning eachother and through informal meetings. The group work as a team, organising and informing all the members on a regular basis. Other courses planned include:

· Special Needs Course
· Health & Wellbeing
· Gardening Course
· Language Course
· ECDL Evening Course

The group is also focusing on community projects that will benefit everyone living in their area. These projects include:

· Community Gardens
· Educational & Performing Arts Schools
· Playgrounds

BRANCH

Empowered Swift Group (ESG) became rooted through the Swift Programme and has now established itself as the tree of knowledge for women. This tree has now evolved into two branches at the moment.
Gardeners Dynamic have eleven members who meet on a weekly basis at eachothers gardens. Currently, the gardeners hope to merge with the Cormeen Swift Group to access further training.
Social Network was recently formed, ESG hope to form a structured social committee to organise fun outings and workshops. This was set up as many of the members feel women in rural areas need an outlet. Coming up shortly will be a day workshop to Fairyhouse Cookery School for twenty-four of our members. Other outings suggested include:

· An Graínín
· Night at the Races
· Health Farms
· Rossinver Organic Centre
· Ramor Theatre Lodge
· A Luxury Cruise (well a group can dream!)

Challenges

Thinking positive is a very important aspect to Empowered Swift Group but unfortunately without access to funding the group will struggle to support all our members needs and the needs of their communities.
Through ESG’s determination to support its members, we hope to overcome this funding challenge by keeping ourselves informed on all aspects of educational and community funding within Meath.

CONTACT
Empowered Swift Group can be contacted through their Chat Forum on the Meath Partnership website by logging onto: www.meathpartnership.ie clicking Funding, click Swift, click Swift Members Page, Click Chat Forum … register … reply or post a message.

“Once you start walking, you just can’t stop”

“A whole new world opened up”

“Concentrate on one course or project at a time”

“Supporting eachother”

“Women supporting and understanding Women”

“Desire to do further training”

GARDENERS DYNAMIC

Community Gardeners – Benefits to Community
31 Jan 2008

By Lill Coyne

· Health
· Economical
· Environmental
· Biodiversity
· Interaction and Social Inclusion
· Sensory

Health:
Gardening is good exercise’ walking, bending, lifting are all good for the limbs, bowel, circulation and a preventative for osteoporosis in vomen. Nothing beats the nutritive value of fresh food grown on well managed soil.

Economical:
Much cheaper to grow your own produce; fresher food, minimal loss of nutrients from soil to table therefore a reduction in medical bills. Less food miles and use of chemical fertilizers, therefore less use of expensive fossil fuels for soil fertilization and transport.

Interaction and Social Inclusion:
Of like-minded individuals and inclusion of everyone, it doesn’t matter the size of the garden; a window box or an acre or two. A good chance for mutual chat and support. Big jobs get done quickly when there is a group involved; the Irish ‘Meitheal’ influence.

Environmental:
Keeping it local, emphasis on reducing the input of fossil fuels, ideally introduction of renewable energy resources ie, use of solar panel, pumps for ponds etc .. reusing where possible ie.. wood, barrels, bottles etc.. Recycling on site as much as possile through various systems of composting. Gardeners will take these ideas home and apply them and the idea will travel. ‘The power of one’.

Biodiversity
Use of natural pest and disease control, resulting in increase of micro-organisms in the soil, more attractive to birds and other wildlife thus an increase in natural predators.

Sensory:
Positive visual impact; sights, perfumes, sounds of increased bird life, calming influence of nature etc...

Future Possibilities:
There is the possibility that many, if not all of the group becoming a more formal group ie.. a co-op using a more permanent site with a view to marketing produce. One of our members has already offered the use of an established garden as a temporary site for a year of two after the initial ‘set up’ phase of 18 months until a more permanent site is found.

Last edited by Mary Clarke on Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Mary Clarke
Mary Clarke

Back to top Go down

EMPOWERED WOMEN GROUP PROFILE Empty Empowered Swift group

Post  maryguirk Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:52 am

Hi Mary
great job in write up keep up the great work.
Mary Laughing

maryguirk

Back to top Go down

EMPOWERED WOMEN GROUP PROFILE Empty WRITER'S CRAMP

Post  Mary Clarke Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:36 am

Hi Mary,

It's great to hear from you and many thanks for your vote of confidence. I'm glad you liked our profile but please feel free to let me know if there is anything you or any other member would like included or changed. Fingers crossed our group will keep going forward and evolving thus the profile will also change as we do, so the more input the better from all of us.

Keep me posted on your Special Needs Course, I spread the word to a few people I thought might be interested, if I receive any favourable replies, I will let you know because the more interested the better chance of the course coming to the area.

Regards,

Mary
flower
Mary Clarke
Mary Clarke

Back to top Go down

EMPOWERED WOMEN GROUP PROFILE Empty f moylagh and cormeen gardening groups??

Post  organiclill Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:52 am

Hi there all,

well done Mary and thanks for the reminder - "click swift", etc so i'm back on line, the computer has settled down somewhat; a bit like myself, don't give me too many abrupt commands and i will cope in my own good time....., and as a follow on from our meeting on Friday morning and subject of twinning of Moylagh and Cormeen gardening groups for Deirdre's lectures to make best use of time and money have forwarded that txt to all the Moylagh Garders Dynamic and to Monica Morris of the Cormeen group Catherine, Maggie & Co. from Cormeen also had the opportunity to read what was sent. The reaction is fairly positive but have only had a few replies. Catherine suggested that we might get the use of the flexibus to cover each group for the 6 trips abroad to Cormeen/Moylagh, So, thought i had better email the gist to Deirdre in case she has a problem with the numbers and now awaiting her reply. will let you know.

Might be late for G Dynamic on Friday Dale Threadwell of Naturally Wild who tutored us at Botanic Gardens on sat am primary schools 'pride of place' is paying a us a visit on friday at 8 50 not to be missed.
all for now back later

Lill lol!

organiclill

Back to top Go down

EMPOWERED WOMEN GROUP PROFILE Empty Cormeen Swift GRoup

Post  Claire McMahon Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:45 am

Hi Mary & all swift ladies.

greetings from Cormeen. Thanks to you all for your inspiration and encouragement we are getting our act together over here. We had an informal meeting last night and have a draft proposal for the leader meeting in early March. We had lots of suggestions and also new ladies interested in our group. we are meeting again on Friday night to decide on the proposal and also to pick a group name. we all expressed interest in meeting up and joining up for courses and social outings if ye are on for it. Apologies for our slow start. most of us were exhausted after completing Swift but we are ready for action again now! Thanks again for keeping us informed. look forward to talking again soon!

Claire Mc

Claire McMahon

Back to top Go down

EMPOWERED WOMEN GROUP PROFILE Empty Céad Mile Failte Cormeen

Post  Mary Clarke Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:04 pm

Greetings to all,

Great work Lill on the possible merging of Gardeners Dynamic and Cormeen, this would mean that both groups could make the most of their monies for the meetings with Deirdre. I am so looking forward to sowing my seeds and my spuds are very busy sprouting away, I am so proud.

Welcome Claire, it's great to hear from you all in the Cormeen group and many thanks for all your kind words, Empowered Swift Group is delighted to be of assistance to you in any way possible. 'Women Supporting Women' that's what it's all about. I can't wait to hear what you have in store and what your new name will be. This forum is a great means of communication between all of us. At least one of us check the forum out every day, it's such fun.

The Leader March 6 meeting will be an important day to find out all about accessing the Leader September, 2008 fund. I haven't heard back from Marjan or Emma as yet, so I don't know much more, fingers crossed we will hear soon, if not I will give them a ring.

Regards,

Mary :
flower
Mary Clarke
Mary Clarke

Back to top Go down

EMPOWERED WOMEN GROUP PROFILE Empty Leader meeting

Post  Claire McMahon Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:37 pm

Hi again

can anyone confirm the time and place for the leader meeting. we were told last night it was Saturday the 8th March. hopefully we can get someone to go if it is the 6th. unfortunately i start and book keeping course that morning so i doubt i will make it. will post copy of our proposal at the weekend for ye all.

thanks again
claire

Claire McMahon

Back to top Go down

EMPOWERED WOMEN GROUP PROFILE Empty LEADER MARCH 6 FUNDING MEETING

Post  Mary Clarke Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:59 pm

Hi Claire,

It's definitely on March 6th, I am waiting to hear from Marjan or Emma about where and time. Will let you know asap. I probably will post the full details on the forum but will ring/text as well.

Regards,

Mary
flower
Mary Clarke
Mary Clarke

Back to top Go down

EMPOWERED WOMEN GROUP PROFILE Empty Leader Workshops

Post  Eileen Gaughran Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:19 pm

Mary ,yes that letter from Leader sounds very interesting. I will go along and the workshop I'd like to attend is the Environment. There has never been a dull moment since we became involved in the Swift Group. What a wonderful launching pad it was. See u there. Thanks Eileen G. Like a Star @ heaven

Eileen Gaughran

Back to top Go down

EMPOWERED WOMEN GROUP PROFILE Empty LEADER MEETING

Post  Mary Clarke Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:47 am

Hi Eileen,

That's great, I will put your name on my reply slip for the Environment workshop, we will probably car pool, I could pick you up at Lill's, would that suit you. Hope you enjoyed the Confirmation, my girls will celebrate theirs on Thursday April 10 in Ballinacree. They are so excited but at the moment all they can think of is hair-dos and funky Confirmation names.

See you soon,

Mary
Mary Clarke
Mary Clarke

Back to top Go down

EMPOWERED WOMEN GROUP PROFILE Empty E.S.G

Post  elizabethgrall Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:52 pm

Hi All
Glad to see our new name on screen have been busy so u only checking out the page now, delighted to see evening ECDL is still on the agenda hope all ye doing morning class are getting on ok check in on ye again soon.
Regards Tilly Laughing

elizabethgrall

Back to top Go down

EMPOWERED WOMEN GROUP PROFILE Empty Re: EMPOWERED WOMEN GROUP PROFILE

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down